If it is at all possible, it is advisable to let kids finish their current school year out before relocating
. Many countries have different terms when it comes to education. For example, in some countries high schools is called secondary school and elementary school is termed middle school. After you get over this first hurdle you will need to understand what grade your child will be in when you move
. This seem like a simple enough request however most countries have different education and ability requirements for being in specific grades. Check with your local school as they may have recommendations and be sure to talk with the new school principal as he will be familiar with your situation and will understand your child's needs. This can be a very traumatic experience for some children so be sure to be supportive and talk to them about all aspects of the move. Try to keep some continuity in their lives by finding out if the hobbies and recreation activities they enjoy can be easily accessed in the new location. Most cities and towns have their own websites and this is a good place to start your search
Plan to evaluate potential schools on pre move trip. Use the following pointers
to help select the appropriate school to meet your needs:
- Has the school obtained good accreditation rates?
- Does the school promote the use of new technology?
- How many students are there per class?
- Does the school have a good record in student University placements?
- Is there a wide range of courses covered?
- Is there a wide variety of recreation and sports offerings?